If you’re reading this, you have something in common with someone else reading it, that is our lawns. For each of us our lawns offer something different, for some it’s about the satisfaction of having a better lawn, learning the science and craft, but often there is something much much deeper. It’s a refuge from our daily grind, our secret happy place that keeps us on track, keeps us strong and mentally where we need to be to front up to the next days life challenges.
A team of dedicated lawn addicts who appreciate a fine lawn and mower have banded together their resources and completed a full nut and bolt restoration of a triple roller, solid deck 20 inch Scott Bonner (aka a Unicorn) and decided to raffle this beautiful show room machine as a tribute to every one of us that turn to our lawns for this refuge and those of us that have been touched in some way by mental health concerns – the Black Dog.
All proceeds of this raffle will be donated to two very fitting causes, 75% to The Black Dog Institute and the remainder 25% will go to assist the Petrie family.
Cameron Petrie has played a major part in the restoration culture of Australia’s iconic Scott Bonner brand. His knowledge and support to this community, plus his restoration kits (also used in this machine) is second to none. Sadly, we lost Cam to the Black Dog a short time ago, leaving his beautiful young family and the Scott Bonner legacy behind. It’s fitting that we enthusiasts can pay respect to him and support his family with something so special in his life.
45% of Australians will experience a mental health condition at some point in their life. 1 million currently suffer from depression and a further 2 million suffer from anxiety.
Myself (Ryan) can be included in these statistics, as can others in this group, so we are touched by this and means a lot. The most important thing is to understand there is no shame in opening up to talk and unpack your mind. As a friend of someone suffering there is no greater gift than to lend someone your compassionate ears.
Lawn Addicts and our community would also like to thank our close friends at Syngenta Turf and Landscape (producers of the big brands we depend on like Acelepryn and Primo Maxx) for reaching out and kindly providing to our cause with second and third prizes. Being a quality Stainless Steel either Patio or Area Heater with gas bottle as second prize and bag of Acelepryn GR and a bottle of Primo Maxx as the third prize
The raffle will be drawn live on the
Read on for restoration details of the mower.
20” solid triple rear roller Scott Bonnar
Media blasting of frame, bedbar, reel and rear drums. Bare steel was then acid treated and epoxy primed, body imperfections were corrected and the final colour is Protec custom mix to match original colour
Then the fun begins with all the new components and fresh frame and drums
Everything was replaced including;
New bearings throughout clutch corks
Clutch thrust bearing
Brass thrust pad
NEW Honda GX 120!!!
Original cast clutch bored out to suit 3/4 engine
Brass HOC adjuster, rod and spring
Fresh grind on reel and bedknife
Full sticker kit
Rechroming of handlebars
New SB hand grips
Stainless front roller kit
And arguably the most important component, a full Cameron Petrie stainless bolt kit!!!
As you can see, everything has been done on this machine, no stone was left unturned in its restoration
And how good does that ID tag look!!!!!!!
Special thanks to
George @ Bonmods