Kikuyu is a versatile and popular turf species for roadsides, soil stabilisation, nature strips, lawns, sporting fields and other public areas looking for a soft drought tolerant turf species.
Preferring full sun, Kikuyu is renowned for its strong rhizome growth and excellent recovery characteristics post mowing, wear or grazing during summer and it can stand some dry conditions due to its deep root system. It can withstand moderate concentrations of NaCl for prolonged periods and under repeated mowing making it an excellent choice along coastal parks and foreshore turf areas.
Due to seed certification and quarantine requirements of Tasmania, seed brought loose by the kilogram is not able to be sent to Tasmania.
Key features of Kikuyu Grass
- Warm-season turf grass with light green colour
- Strong rhizome and stolon growth
- Responds well to N fertiliser
- Excellent drought tolerance with some salt tolerance
- Can withstand low mowing and heavy grazing
- Medium traffic tolerance
- Can tolerate higher Al/Mn soil levels
- Enhanced by AgriCOTE seed treatment
Key benefits of Kikuyu Grass
- Confidence it will perform very well
- Excellent for erosion control
- Quality racetrack species
- Good choice for lawn, sportsfields where persistence is required
- Thrives under constant mowing and heavy grazing
Kikuyu is readily established from seed when soil temperatures are increasing above 18 degrees. Recommended planting times are spring through summer like bermudagrass however kikuyu can be dormant seeded over winter and will germinate when soil conditions are suitable.
Seed should be sown at a depth of 1–5 mm is ideal and is readily compatible with other species such as ryegrass for hydroseeding.